Monday, July 20, 2009

It feels like home again

Sorry for the delay in updating the blog! Buying our first home has been a journey. After switching lenders we were able to close on the house last week and then we had to move. I'm sure we can all relate to the things that go along with moving. I'm still trying to update our new address with everyone.

Last night we make smores with a friend and her children. For the first time in our military journey I feel like I am home. I feel like I belong here. The landlord can't come and kick us out, we can paint or put up a fence or rip out plants or plant a garden. There is something about being in our own home that makes this feel like home. The feeling you get when you go to your home town and sleep in your old bed. That is the feeling I have. I never realized that I didn't really feel this way before. But now that I can look back at the houses and places we lived(in 10 years we have lived in 6 states and 9 houses)and I always knew it wasn't a forever place. I always knew it was only a matter of time before we moved again. I tried to enjoy the places we have lived. I didn't always like them but we tried to make the most of every stop. Now that Ted is with a unit that he will stay with, that means no more moves for us. Until maybe retirement. We truly aren't going anywhere for a while. I have never experienced that feeling before.

I can actually start looking at different furniture and curtains and not worry about the cost vs. use. I don't have to worry about them not working in the next house. It will be at least 10 years before we move again. HOW GREAT IS THAT? I'm not sure I can handle accumulating stuff for 10 years before we move again. I'm used to getting rid of stuff every year or so.

Because we have moved so much I have become a pro at unpacking and putting things away. It drives my husband crazy. I put it away just to have it out of the boxes. Then I will usually move the items in the kitchen or bathroom until I find their exact new home. Ted will go TDY and come home and things are moved all over again. Yesterday he couldn't find the coffee and the coffee cups. It's just a moving pain. We have gotten good at adjusting to those.

We have more of a wooded yard at this house. Parker was outside today catching bugs. YUCK! I don't enjoy bugs. He wanted to keep them in the house. I found myself trying to rationalize with an 8 year old boy about why it's not a good idea to keep the bugs in his room with white carpet. His response to me was "mom the bugs will be lonely in the garage by themselves." How do you argue with that?

Things should return back to normal before to long. Thank you for hanging in there with me as we ventured down the journey of owning our first home.

No comments:

Post a Comment