Monday, June 15, 2009

A Day in the life

I often wonder what a day in the life of another military wife looks like. I am sure we have similar experiences, but I still wonder.

My day, now that it's summer vacation, is a very unstructured one. We have no schedule calling our names. There isn't an alarm buzzing in my ear saying "get out of bed you lazy butt." Now I only have to listen to it saying those things to my husband.

I always end the day excited for the next. I have a to do list, I am motivated to accomplish great things. Then the day comes and I don't want to get out of bed. I am not a morning person. I am very much a night owl. It's even worse when my husband is gone.

I usually wake to the kids arguing about something or another. Then it's off to the races. Some days I won't get a shower until after lunch. My kids are old enough now that I can shower at any point and I don't have to worry. But when it's quiet and I can sit down to get some work done you better believe I stay there until my butt hurts. Or until my A.D.D. kicks in and I have to move on to other things.

Then there is always lunch. At my house the next meal seems to a thought in all of my children's minds. Like they might miss a meal if they don't shout out their food requests so I remember that I have to feed them dinner.

After lunch it's no holds barred. "Can I go...?" "He hit me." "MOOOOOOMMMMMM, Tell her to leave my stuff alone!!!!!!" Oh yes the joys of summer vacation. Why do I count the days until it gets here? Once it's here I am counting the days until they go back to school. It is a never ending cycle that I truly do not understand.

This week is a good week first week of summer vacation. VBS is going on at church. The three youngest are out of the house for 3 hours. Any mom can relate to that. Summer vacation and I get to have a quiet house for more than 10 minutes. That is a blessing.

This summer we have to move. That move will take place anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks from now. It all just depends on the paperwork and when it gets completed. I have said from the beginning that I know God is bigger than paperwork and I believe that we will close when we are supposed to. My husband says it will happen on God's time, God's time is perfect and ours isn't. He is right. My husband is a wise man. He shocks me at what he says from time to time. Then I had this thought, if he is so wise about things like this how come he can't remember the answer to the question he has asked me three times?

A day in the life of this military wife is chaotic, challenging, filled with love and frustration, always changing, but I wouldn't change a minute of it. I love our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment