Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Off and running again

Well my time in Wisconsin is almost over. Tomorrow we hit the road and back to NC we go. It's hard to believe we have been here for almost a week already. It has been a much needed break for me. I haven't done much of anything. The kids have been without me more than with me. I love that I have family that takes the approach divide and concur. With four kids I think the kids have that same approach when it comes to their dad and I.

I am sad to leave. Usually at the end of every trip home I am ready to leave. I am ready to have my own bed and my own stuff. You would think that I would be itching to get home since we just bought our house. But I really don't want to go. I want to stay here. This time when I go home I will go home to an empty house. Which isn't completely unusual. But I am tired of going home to an empty house. Just me, the kids and the dogs.

While I am sad to leave and sad that I have to go home to am empty house again, I am happy that God is showing me how to have adventures of my own. I felt a sense of accomplishment when I added the oil to the truck and fixed the tire pressure. I am amazed that I even know what the proper tire pressure should be on the tires. I did it. With no help from anyone else. (except my husband telling me the correct air pressure but that was months ago so it doesn't really count :)) I have a feeling I will be having many more things that I need to adventure and do. Especially since we own our house now. Granted we have a builder warranty which saves us a ton of frustration and money.

It's not that I haven't been able to do these things or willing. But when I have a husband home I have an attitude that "my husbands home I shouldn't have to do those things." That is his job. He doesn't scrub the toilets and I don't fix things. It's sort of an unwritten rule that we have. I need to have more of a can do attitude. Who knows what I will fix next. But rest assured I will not be seen on the show Renovation Realities. In case you haven't seen the show it goes something like this: Ordinary people take on home renovation. They know little to nothing about it and allow a camera crew to tape it. I told my husband I am not delusional enough to think I can tackle home renovation and I'm not silly enough to allow someone to film it if I do decide to try it. Now painting doesn't count. I have become a pretty good painter. Still not perfect and I have to have Clorox wipes handy in case I touch the trim, but I have gotten better over the years.

I have learned that I can travel from North Carolina to Wisconsin by myself with the dogs. I have learned that it's okay to take the kids on an adventure when their dad is gone. Although I hate going anywhere without their dad it will be okay. He doesn't expect us to live our life on hold while he is gone. I have learned some things about my family. No matter how much I agree or disagree with things they are still my family. No matter how much they agree or disagree with me they are still my family. They still welcome me home whenever I come, offer to take my kids so I can have a break, and are happy to see us when we come. It makes me sad to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment