Saturday, April 18, 2009

One Person

Do you ever want to be inspired? Do you get caught up in what’s going on with the country but feel there is nothing you can do? I do too. I feel so overwhelmed at what’s going on that I tend to tune it out and pray in passing that it will work itself out. I think most average Americans feel the same way.
After a recent family trip to Washington D.C., I am inspired. I know there is something I can do to make a difference I just have to find it. I figured this trip would be fun for the family, we would learn a little history and it’s not far from home so it wouldn’t cost a lot.
In preparation for our trip the boys and I started to study about George Washington. We didn’t get as far along as I would have liked but we learned a little bit. On our first full day we went to Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington. After hearing the stories and seeing the grounds you couldn’t help but leave feeling optimistic. You felt the presence of a great leader. A leader that was more concerned about a nation as a whole than himself or a party. If you wait in line to tour the home of George and Martha you will see the bed that George Washington died in. I had tears in my eyes as I looked into their bedroom and saw the bed that they slept in. Then as you continue downstairs you will see the chair he sat in when he decided to step down as President. It is truly amazing.
We toured the war memorials and the monuments. You could tell that people wanted to see these things because they are a part of our history. I think few people were as emotional about it as I was. You see as I toured these things I couldn’t help but continue to think, God put these great God fearing men in charge of our unique country at the very beginning and somehow along the way we have screwed it up. I’m just as guilty as everyone else. We became wrapped up in taking care of ourselves and not taking care of our country. We were worried about our paychecks, our toys, our houses and left the government and our neighbors to fend for themselves. I think not getting involved makes you just as guilty as the people who have led us astray. There have been elections that I didn’t vote in because I thought it wouldn’t matter. Bills that would be passed on issues that I didn’t agree with but felt it wouldn’t matter if I stood up and said anything. I know many people like myself. But instead of being silent we should have stood up together and said NO. That is not what we want to happen.
Generation X’rs are facing the biggest battle of our time. We must stand up and take back our government and our society. We must stand up and fight for our neighbor not just ourselves. It’s the right thing to do. Many people have lost their jobs, homes, savings, and their hope. We have lost hope that anything we say and do will matter. It will matter. It is okay to stand up and say I am mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore. It will teach our children that they can stand up and make a difference so this doesn’t happen again. It will show them that one person can make a difference.
I challenge you to stand up. Stand up and let someone know you aren’t okay with the way things are. Find an issue that passionate about and fight for it. AIDS research, Cancer research, poverty, homeless, same sex marriage, abortion, and the list continues. FIND SOMETHING that you can get passionate about. If you aren’t passionate about it you will forget about it or quit when it gets hard or you hit a road block. I promise when you do you will change the country. You will show others that one person is making a difference. You will inspire others to greatness. You don’t have to be a great leader like General Washington in order to give someone inspiration. All you have to do is work at something from your heart.
I see wonderful things ahead of this nation. I see many people standing up for what they believe in and saying THIS IS NOT OKAY. There is a laundry list of things you can choose to support. STAND UP FOR IT. Don’t be silent any longer. Stand up and make a difference.
Change is coming. Will you sit on the sidelines and watch as it goes by or you will be leading the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment